If I told you I wasn’t excited about this recipe I’d be lying! From thinking about this idea, to figuring out how I could make this, to actually making it… I WAS SO EXCITED! Gnocchi is one thing I always love to order if it’s on the menu. The Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi is a staple in my house. So, I just had to figure out how to make it on my own but with different vegetables.
If you feel like the serving size is too small (as pictured) then just throw in another serving! That’s what I did.
- 588g Boiled Cassava
- 1 Cup Cassava Flour
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Dash of salt
- First you want to prep your cassava. Cut the ends, peel it by either using a peeler or cutting a line down the middle and shucking the two layers (there’s the brown layer and a thick white layer beneath that), dice, and then put into a pot of water and boil until fork tender.
- Drain your cassava and then mash it all up.
- Make a pile with the Cassava flour and make a little well in the middle. Add the mashed cassava to the middle and kneed it in (Caution: it might be warm or hot depending on how long you wait to start the mixing.) Once you notice the two are incorporated, add in the water. Continue to kneed until you have a dough like consistency. (Lump and chunks might be in the dough depending on how mashed the cassava is and that’s fine!)
- Roll out the dough into a thick rope and divid into equal parts, I divided my portions into 9. Set the dough aside and work one at a time. Take one of the dough balls and once again roll it out into a rope. Cut the rope crosswise into small pieces. If you want to take your gnocchi to the next level, take the back of a fork and roll each piece against the back.
- Once all the gnocchi is formed, drop the gnocchi into a boiling pot of water. When they float to the top it is ready to serve!
- I served mine with a vegan butter sage sauce and vegan parmesan.
NOTE: I count free foods so make sure to plug in your foods for accurate nutrition values.