This is a recipe that I came up with when I was in 8th grade. My dad and I used to spend our weekends either going out or dedicating the day to the Food Network, groceries, and being chefs! That’s one of my best memories, getting to be creative in the kitchen with my dad and having Food Network cook off’s playing in the background.
This is a side/meal that really made a GREAT impression on all my family members. Any time you come to a BBQ, party, or holiday get together you’ll see this on the table. If you have family members that don’t have PKU consider making this for them! For their recipe, I always say eyeball the recipe. Use a box of penne, a pack of cherry tomatoes, half a bottle of dressing, as much grated parmesan you’d like (make sure it’s enough), and as much green onions you’d like.
Turning this into a PKU friendly meal was so easy to do. You just switch out the pasta, use vegan cheese (preference), and measure out the tomatoes, green onions, and dressing.
- 2 Servings (124g) Low Protein Penne Pasta
- 6g Green Onions
- 1 Serving Vegan Parmesan
- 126g Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. (50g) Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
- Cook pasta according to packaging. When it is cooked, rinse with water and then pour it into a bowl.
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half, dice your green onions, and add them to the pasta.
- Sprinkle your parmesan and pour your dressing on the pasta. Toss everything together, put in the fridge to cool or eat immediately.
- Side note: If you make this the ‘regular’ way for your family then you can definitely store in the fridge for the week and enjoy whenever. If you are using PKU pastas then I recommend eating it immediately and not saving it for the week, the pasta tends to harden.
NOTE: I count free foods so make sure to plug in your foods for accurate nutrition values.