Nashville Hot Nuggets
Random conversations with my husband lead to brilliant food ideas. He was having a craving for a Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich and suggested that I should make it PKU style. So, of course, I got to working on a recipe! The first batch was so spicy I couldn’t even salvage it, the second was too spicy and too thick, and the third was just right! You have the option of having it be sweet with a little heat, or spicy for those who can handle it. This is great for kids (You might want to make the sweeter version for them though) or the spice lovers in your home! I’m a spice lover but I have to say I gravitate towards the sweeter nugget. I ate this as a finger food but you can throw it on some low protein toast with some pickles or coleslaw and have it as a sandwich.
- 1 Cube of Not Chicken Broth
- 1 Can of Jackfruit (Trader Joe’s size)
- Vegetable or Peanut Oil for frying
- 1 Tbs Vegan Sour Cream (You can omit this)
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Cambrooke Welmade Flour (If you don’t have that you can swap it with Dietary Specialties Baking Mix. I tried both ways but the Wel-made came out crispier.)
- 1 Tbs Louisiana Hot sauce
- 2 Tbs Cayenne (Spicer nugget) OR 1 Tbs Cayenne (Sweeter nugget with a little heat)
- 1 Tbs Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 Cup Oil Reserve
- Start off by bringing a pot of jackfruit, water, and the chicken broth cube to a boil. Once the jackfruit is fork tender, drain and set it aside.
- Set up your dredging station. Set up one bowl with the sour cream, almond milk, and Louisiana hot sauce. Your second bowl should have the Wel-made flour and a dash of salt.
- In a deep pan, pot, or even fryer, start to heat up the oil.
- While the oil heats up, put all your sauce ingredients, except the oil, into a small heat safe bowl.
- Once your oil is ready, dip your whole jackfruit pieces into the dry bowl, wet bowl, then back to the dry bowl. I like to use this pattern: Dry, wet, dry, wet, dry. This way I know I’ll have an extra crispy nugget.
- Slowly drop the battered jackfruit into the hot oil. BE CAREFUL. Once you notice the nuggets getting a light gold color to them, take them out and place them on a plate with a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Once you have all your nuggets fried take 1/2 cup of the oil we used and pour it into the spice bowl. Whisk the mix until everything is well combined and looking like a sauce. You won’t be using all the sauce, unless you’d like. Generously brush the sauce on every nugget.
- You can serve this as nuggets, as a sandwich with pickles on top, or a sandwich with some coleslaw.
NOTE: THIS IS A FRIED DISH. THE NUTRITION FACTS BELOW ARE CALCULATED WITHOUT THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF FRYING THE FOOD.
NOTE: I count free foods so make sure to plug in your foods for accurate nutrition values.