All right my friends, this is something I’ve never tried, tasted, or even smelled. My best friend had a couple weeks where this is all she was eating and I saw a picture of it and told her I was going to make it. Now, this is a dish that is dedicated to protein (meat). So, obviously, anyone I told about this questioned how I would make this. Well… I did… and those that tried it (NON-PKU) ended up loving it and saying it tasted similar and looked exactly like the real thing.
You can eat this as a soup or as a taco and dunk it in the soup. If you choose to eat this as a taco all you have to do is dunk the tortilla in the soup and put it in a hot pan to heat up. Fill it with the jackfruit (from the soup), fold the tortilla over it, and let it crisp up. You want to pour the soup on the taco while it cooks in the pan to make sure you get the flavor fully. Make sure to flip it so both sides get golden brown.
My recommendation for the taco is to use the Rudi’s Gluten Free Tortilla and cut it in half. Add in some shredded vegan cheeses, some lime juice, and maybe some pickled onions and cabbage.
- 6 g (2 peppers) Guajillo Peppers
- 3 Tbsp Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 70 g Onion
- 1 Can Jackfruit
- 1 Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cube
- 2 Tsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base (Organic)
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 20 g Minced Garlic
- 20 g Carrot
- 1 Thyme Sprig
- 2 bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 114 g Tomato
- 4 Cups water
- Lime juice (Optional)
- Prep your vegetables. Cut your Carrot, cut your onion in half, mince your garlic, open and drain your jackfruit, and cut the stem off the guajillo pepper.
- Pour EVOO in a pot. Throw in your jackfruit and garlic and let it sit for minute. Add in the water, chick’n cube, bouillon, chipotle in adobo, and all the spices. Mix it then add in the onion, carrot, guajillo peppers, thyme sprig, and bay leaves. Bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and cover it, letting it cook for an hour.
- Once your soup is cooked, the onion, carrot, and pepper is soft, you want to take out the onion, bay leaves, thyme (some of it might get lost in the soup, that’s fine), carrot, peppers, and garlic. Throw all of that into a blender and add your tomato. Blend it and then pour it into the soup.
- When you take out the vegetables to blend, make sure you take out the jackfruit and put it to the side. You want to use a fork or bear claws to shred the jackfruit. Once all your jackfruit is shredded, add it back to the soup.
- Once everything is back in the soup, taste it and add spices as desired. At this point you can squeeze in the juice of one or two limes (Optional). You can either let the soup sit a bit longer, make a taco, or eat it as is!